Monthly Archives: July 2013

Translucent Leaf Update

I’m running into some problems with the Gerber prints.  Whereas the prints worked well for the mostly flat Meganeuropsis wings, the vacuform leaves have enough variability that I can’t get the prints to conform to the surface without cutting into the … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Vacuforming on a small scale

I have a full vacuform machine that can vacuform sheets of acetate up to 19″X 28″.  I am doing some R&D on making leaves (see previous blog entries) and I didn’t want to make up full sheets of leaves, at … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Translucent Leaves II

I got a bit closer to what I am looking for today.  I added colored beeswax to the mix.  The best results were from two different techniques.  One, I cast the Gerber print into the plaster mold using epoxy and … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Making transluscent leaves for a diorama

I started working at the Peabody Museum in 1988 and one of the first things I did was to replace a red osier shrub and a willow branch in the foreground of the Shoreline diorama.  I worked for two years … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment